Friday, March 6, 2015

Baby Shower Gift Bags and Special Little Thingamajigs

I loved making little things for my kids so much that before I had babys I made sets and took them to work.... and then when I had children and they got bigger I made Gift baskets for Church Bazaars and School Fundraisers.... by then I had started doing other things besides sewing so I combined machine sewing with handsewing and embroidery plus craft projects like fabric photo albums that played music and Stained glass night lights and Suncatchers.  I didn't take a lot of pictures but here are some baskets I did for a fundraiser and really they were more about fun for me than anything else..... well maybe I loved thinking of the babies that would be using these items or the moms that would be smiling as the used these items with their little ones.....  In my usual fevered obsession I spent many nights up into the night making these items....  THESE baskets were 15 years ago or more.....
This Frog gift basket had a little of everything besides the booties hanging on top and the bib peeping through with the Toad-ally yours card.... I made more than one frog basket!
Cloth books, bottle warmers stuffed frog to wear a bib-beanie frog with his own blanket.....note the bootie frogs have their tongue out catching flies hanging off the top

Another closeup
Yes, I would laugh as I finished each thing and then think of something else to make it more fun.  The heart on the photo album has a little crosstitch front on the front of it to push to make music. 
Sometimes I just get frog obsessed... as you can tell I am again! Although this year they are pink blankies and such with my new obsession with machine embroidery...
All into the Teddy Bears on this one.... Bear Cruelty gave it a basket with a Teddy Head and arms glued to the front and the legs were glued to the opposit end.  The interior of the baskets lined with cloth matching themes and padded to use for baby items in the nursery or toys when the when the babies get bigger....  
This one had it all... fleece blanket, large floor quilt, always a burp drool and tinkle set and photo album.. suncatcher...... they all had matching booties... I would buy the baskets on sale ... and if they had any broken or rough edges I covered them with quilt batting and matching them cloth to keep them safe and sturdy for fun use.  Glue gun skills applied there....
Push on the Teddy's heart and hear music... sometimes they had Lullaby in them.... sometimes Favorite Things... or It's a Child's World After All....  (Button Music Boxes purchased in BULK)
Piggy Basket being wrapped-everything pink
Sometimes you can't find the theme material so you have to improvise...
Dalmations are always fun!
Sometimes you have to do the fabric books in a different critter, (spotted dragon here) until you write your own books with fabric pages.... that can be fun, but you make sure nothing can be pulled off and eaten... zigzag around all attachments....
Dogs are fun.... but then there were......
Yes... I remember cow fun... because the Cow Jumped over the moon.... sooooo
COWS
Black and white booties and Stuffed Moon toys with embroidered eyes and smiles on them... on and on!!
I went wild with the milk theme.... the bib says GOT milk and the burper says OOPS had milk...LOL

Well those were the days....   I see a baby basket phase hitting me.... After I finish all those quillows that are lined up.... Let's see  I see 4 here on the table and the Queen size quilt that needs backing and ...  the monkey booties and bear booties and monkie quilty.... oooooooh...... I better stop looking at these old pictures and get back to the sewing machine..... I have to weave that tumbling block back NOW........!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  there is work tomorrow....

No comments:

Post a Comment